There is only so much you can do with your own energy. I have realized you need the energy of others to get inspired, to do more
We all know that it takes a village to be successful, whether it is in an individual sport like running or in a team sport when you are leading an organization. A question that I have been often asked is how do you create your own village: My first response will be to ask you “Are you part of someone else’s village?” If the answer is no, then I would urge you to consider being part of someone else’s village before creating your own. Because once you are part of someone else’s village, you quickly understand how villages work, how you can contribute to someone else’s success and THAT is an important step in learning to create your own village.
Now, let me share the WHY, WHAT and HOW to create your village:
- First, understand your WHY or your purpose for creating the village. What are you really after?
- Next define your WHAT – What are your goals? The more Specific Measurable Achievable Relevant and Time Bound or S.M.A.R.T you can make those goals, the better.
- Third, Know WHO you need – a mentor, coach. With a mentor you have a longer term relationship to develop yourself and who you look for answers while with a coach you look for an expert who can help you accomplish specific goals.
- Fourth, Give before you take – That way It is always easier to ask for help and they will reciprocate
- And finally, as you make progress, be grateful
I feel fortunate to have a village I can call my own. It has made extraordinary things possible for me and my wish for you is the same.